Life has flown by in the past couple weeks. Here are the highlights (actually, these are just the pics I had of life. Ha!)
- I was missing my friend in Chengdu so decided to try out some sushi for lunch. We made it Texas style with avocados, hot peppers, and cream cheese. It was fabulous (due to my really great teacher)!
- Cam showed off his grilling superpowers and grilled us some salmon (the picture is the next day leftovers). He really takes our dinners to the next level, and I am so thankful.
- Cupcakes. Because we needed something with sprinkles after a failed dinner attempt (read about it below).
- My hair seems to have developed waves in this humidity. Makes me miss my mama and her curls.
- We went on our first fast train ride to the capital of the island. My seat buddy was this adorable bookworm that stole my heart about 12 years ago.
- I made a new friend at an old friend’s house. Charlie. He cuddled up with me and was snoring in no time. I am definitely a dog person…and this little cutie was awesome!
- We rode a bus for the first time in Sanya. And we may have been riding with chickens…not definite but definitely possible.
- Saw a rainbow at the beach on a drizzly day. It was magical. So was the sweet tea I was drinking.
- Ordered ICE!! After 20 months of not having ice, this is like a little cube of heaven in my mouth. That huge bag was delivered to my home for only $1.60
- The dinner failure? It was jiaozi. That friend I was missing? She taught me to make this too, but apparently her student was paying attention. Or maybe there was a language barrier… When we made it together…it was amazing. When I made it without her? Wow. The meat was good…the wrapper was too thick and a little slimy. There were multiple reasons for this. One is that my stove top won’t get hot enough to keep a rolling boil in water. So by the time the meat was cooked, it had been in the water too long. Just gross. The other problem was that after we spent an hour wrapping them, we failed to separate them with flour, so we were left with one big glob of…mess. Better luck next time I suppose.
- Ellie is still unable to eat chocolate of any variety without wearing it. She will outgrow this, right?!?
- Chocolate chip cookies really do make the world a happier place to live.
- The homeschool books arrived, and it brought me to my knees. I sat there and looked at those books feeling overwhelmed and incapable for days. I finally started reading through the teacher guides getting a handle on 2nd, 4th, and 7th grades. We started school a week and a half ago and still love each other. They are learning and enjoying the process (for the most part). There have been a few rounds of tears, LOTS of silliness, laughter, lightbulbs glowing, and moments when this mama was the proudest on the island.
- Look at the city view! It isn’t my city, but rather early morning in the capital while we were there. If you look closely, you will see glimpses of the grime that define this country. Far away, it appears dreamy, but up close, you really see life. And that life isn’t one that values cleanliness.
- On the train ride home we had four seats that faced each other. I propped my legs up to read a teachers guide while Faith watched a movie and munched on snickerdoodles. We were all tangled together and happy as could be.
- Faith. Give the girl a free moment and this happens. She has so much creativity that she can’t help but to leak it out wherever she goes. This one was one of my favorites. Such a cute little pirate. Good thing too because she may have interrupted my nap with this adorableness…
- Gracie got a late birthday present from Mush (Cam’s grandma). It was late because of us, not her. 😉 Gracie had really been wanting this little backpack and has carried it all over the place. It’s perfect!