Life decisions rarely come easy or quick, am I right?! A few months ago we were given a choice to move the the north side of the island we currently live on in order to be near our teammates. It would be a lot easier to be encouraging team leaders if we actually lived nearby.
Our girls have friends in this city. Not just any old friends, but friends that are perfectly matched to their ages, whom they adore. These friends are answers to so many prayers that we lifted to the King, and He wouldn’t be asking us to move away from them, from HIS blessings to us, to a city where the foreign kiddo population is far younger than our girls. Right?
We lifted it up, talked it over and over, from every direction, and decided that, no, He was not asking us to move. The best thing for our family is to stay planted and grow some roots.
Maybe that was the problem. The whole roots thing. Our roots should be in HIM, not in a location. He continued to whisper to our hearts, never letting the final decision we made feel final. Then, little by little, the work we are doing here seemed to be wrapping up. Not in a “we don’t need to do that work anymore” kind of way, but in a way that meant our involvement will start to be less and less as they become more able to move to a healthy place on their own. Some other opportunities presented themselves and the more we talked through what a move would look like for our family, the more we began to really hear what He was telling us to do.
- We would be able to host teams more easily, and having American brothers and sisters come to partner and work alongside us is priceless!
- Our girls were given built-in best friends when they became a group of three sisters so us feeling they are entitled to different friends is exactly that. Entitlement. He will bless them and care for them far more than we are able to.
- Our girls aren’t involved much in what we do over here (neither am I for that matter!) and that could really change with new opportunities.
- Being able to encourage and bless our teammates in tangible ways will help us to truly embrace the role He has placed us in.
- We can be much more strategic about where we choose to live, enabling us to be surrounded by more locals.
- Being able to run to the beach and run the trails (it didn’t rank high on the list, but come on! It made the list for sure.) The prospect of paddle boarding in the deep, blue sea doesn’t hurt either!
These are just a few of the things on our pros list, and we aren’t naive enough to not recognize that almost every one of these things can be done where we are, but we are wise enough (through and by Him alone) to recognize that He has prepared our hearts for this. As we shared with our girls in family devo time last week that moving was a possibility and talked that through with them, we have been more than surprised as they have come to us at different times expressing that they would be sad to leave their friends, but are excited about the possibility of life in Haikou.
Our Father doesn’t just love us. He adores us and wants the very best for us.
Go on and scream it from the mountains
Go on and tell it to the masses
that HE IS GOD!